*Global Health Security Conference 2022 was held in Singapore from June 28 to July 1, 2022.
What has COVID-19 taught us?
1. Awareness – the interconnectivity of people
COVID-19 has made us understand everyone is bound together on personal health issues.
2. Knowledge – Effective approach
- The all-of-government approach – integrated efforts across all government policies
- The all-of-society approach – state and non-state players must collaborate
- The inclusive and equitable approach – inequity fosters vulnerability; mind the weakness in the global chain
- The one health approach – connectivity among people, animals, and the environment
Five ways to achieve the effective approach
1. Global Action Plan (GAP)
Increase vaccination rates, strengthen health supply chains, combat misinformation, and disinformation
2. Sustainable financing
Financial Intermediary Fund for Pandemic Prevention, Preparedness, and Response
3. Amend the WHO’s International Health Regulations
Establish early warning triggers to enhance rapid information sharing.
4. Develop more rapid prevention and response instrument
5. Help other countries
Blinken’s speech (video and script)